Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Hunger Rumblings

The ELCA World Hunger staff and their associates blog about world hunger, its causes and solutions, and anything else they find relevant.

Friday, October 24, 2008

What Moves You?

Tomorrow night my wife is hosting (and participating in) a benefit concert for the Millenium Development Goals (if you live in the Chicago area and are interested in joining us, check out the website here). As we were talking about her event over coffee, she asked me how I would talk about the MDGs. I think my top two talking points are raising awareness of the enormity of hunger and poverty and stressing the Christian call to respond. She did not like either idea. The statistics are too depressing and bringing faith into the discussion may turn some people off, she reasoned. So this got me thinking. We all have different backgrounds and experiences, and respond differently pressing issues. I know what motivates me to action, what motivates you? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all come to a certain worldview based on all the intricacies that make us, us. I think that most people are big enough to understand the intense drive that Jesus had for the poor and disenfranchised. As Christians, we are being shaped into His image. It is our call to respond as Jesus would. Christians have a huge need to have this point driven home time and again. Blessings, Jim

October 27, 2008 at 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two comments. 1. Your wife is right. Both the Christians and non-Christians are needed to address this huge problem. When addressing the issue, it is important to know your audience. 2. Just as Paul went to the Gentiles and others to the Jews, we need to know our calling. Christians realize that humanity doesn't live on bread alone. The church needs to be aware of its calling to meet both needs. Blessings, Jim

November 9, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home