Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Hunger Rumblings

The ELCA World Hunger staff and their associates blog about world hunger, its causes and solutions, and anything else they find relevant.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

An "A" for the day

Nancy M. came in to work with a page of Valentine stickers. Nancy explained that her four-year-old daughter, Anika, gave her the stickers this morning "to give to anyone who is feeling sad or bad or has done really good work." I gratefully accepted two of the stickers--"Love Bug" and "Bugs and Kisses"--and I will wear them all day. Thank you, Anika.

I'm a big fan of affirmation, and I'm not alone, so I make an effort to be affirming. I've been known to tell colleagues that they've earned an "A" for the day. In addition to a good tip, I like to write "Thanks for the great service!" on top of the restaurant's copy of my credit-card charge. It tickles me to ask to speak to a phone representative's supervisor to acknowledge a job well done. I try to always give credit where credit is due. I pat myself on the back by placing a sticker on the calendar when I work out in the morning.

Once, in a staff meeting, the question was asked, "How do you like to be affirmed?" The varied answers were surprising. For me, the best affirmation is personal vs. generic, at-the-time vs. when it's expected, and is often secondhand (as in "I heard so-and-so say such-n-such about your work on the this-n-that."). Please comment below and share how you like to be affirmed/encouraged/thanked.

In the coming days, consider seizing opportunities to offer thanks/affirmation/encouragement, especially to those in your realm who are engaged in anti-hunger and anti-poverty efforts. Please comment below and share one of your "seize the affirmation opportunity" stories.

Who knows? Maybe someone will offer you an "A" for the day, a gold star, or a Valentine sticker.

Affirming blessings,
Sue-s

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think most people appreciate being affirmed in an appropriate manner. As a second grader, a sticker might have been just the thing to make my day. (Although I would hope for more of a Transformer or dinosaur sticker.) After all, isn't affirmation all about the person who did a good job, and not just to make us feel good?

Nowadays, a tall, frosty mug of Trappist ale might be just the thing to say, "Job well done."

August 26, 2008 at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home