Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Hunger Rumblings

The ELCA World Hunger staff and their associates blog about world hunger, its causes and solutions, and anything else they find relevant.

Monday, May 12, 2008

What's in YOUR Basement?

Say what you will about capitalism, it has its place! If there's a demand, a supplier will appear. And the latest business I've run across is so perfectly American that I can't help but admire it, although it makes me cringe a little at the same time. Pehaps you've heard of it: 1-800-Got-Junk.

This is a business that exists because we've got too much stuff and no time (or desire) to deal with it. Some nice, uniformed employees will come to your house and haul away a whole truckload of stuff you don't want for a little over $500 (here in Chicago; pricing varies by location). Plus they recycle or donate some 60% of what they take away, and they'll sweep up the place after they've emptied it out.

I so enjoy the irony. We work long hours to earn money to buy stuff, and then we pay people to come take it away, all the while complaining that we don't have enough time or money! And it's not just one or two of us; the company expects to earn around $150 million in revenue this year.

In the time that I've worked for ELCA World Hunger I've become much more aware of what I buy and what I waste. Here's to hoping that once the truck leaves my house and I have a cleanly-swept floor, I won't set to work filling it again.

-- Nancy Michaelis

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About a year ago, my sister and I cleaned out my mother's house after my mom moved into a nursing home. We rented a 10 yard dumpster and filled it twice. Each load I took to the dumpster made me think. Years and years of stuff, and it was tossed away. I thought about those things that are lasting in life: God, family, friends. Stuff just wasn't on the list. The experience made me change my buying habits. For gifts I now give "alternative gifts". I focus on making memories with my family. I look for opportunites to give money to those in need rather than buying items that will be destined for the dumpster in the future. Life is good.

May 13, 2008 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Sue-s said...

Well said, Mary!
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where rust and moth consume..."
Sue-s

May 19, 2008 at 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home