Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Hunger Rumblings

The ELCA World Hunger staff and their associates blog about world hunger, its causes and solutions, and anything else they find relevant.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Feeling excessively clean

The following statistics caught my attention this weekend:
  • The World Health Organization says a person needs 50 liters of water each day to meet basic human needs.
  • The average person in the U.S. uses 300 to 378 liters per day.

If I had a little pie chart of my own use, I'm guessing the shower would account for the biggest slice. I do love a steamy shower in the winter! The kitchen sink and the toilet are probably next, except on laundry days. I wonder how many other uses would be in that chart. And I wonder just how much bigger the shower slice would be. I wonder how egregiously clean I am.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue-s said...

Handy stats from WATER, a cool little "green guide" by Jon Clift & Amanda Cuthbert, available from Alternatives for Simple Living (www.SimpleLiving.org):
5-minute shower=10 gallons
5-minute power shower=20 gallons
Bath=40 gallons
One toliet flush=3 gallons
washing machine=40 gallons (newer models use 27 gallons)
dishwasher=10 gallons (not counting the water you run while rinsing before or re-washing after)

Ninety-five percent of the water delivered to our homes goes downs the drain; only three percent is actually used for drinking.

Yep, we're excessively clean.

March 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home